Lefkothea has deep experience of competition law, both in Greece and across the EU. She served for 15 years with the Hellenic Competition Commission (HCC) and spent five years on its Board. Lefkothea was a member of the EU Council’s negotiation team for the adoption of the Directive on antitrust damages actions and of the legislative committee for the transposition of the Directive on antitrust damages actions in Greece. She was also a member of the legislative committee for the transposition in the Greek legal order of the Directive on the effective enforcement of competition rules by national Competition Authorities (ECN +), and a regular delegate-representative at the OECD and the European Competition Network.
Since leaving the HCC she has worked in private practice, focusing on EU and competition law across a range of sectors. Her practice focuses on supporting clients – both domestic and international – in identifying and addressing issues with Greek and EU competition law, regulatory compliance and structuring transactions and commercial agreements to satisfy antitrust and competition laws.
Lefkothea advises clients across a wide range of deals and commercial matters including privatisations, cross-border and domestic M&A and joint ventures, cartels and abuse of dominance, distribution networks, vertical agreements and restrictive practices, investigations and compliance, state aid, procedures before administrative authorities and litigation before courts.
She works closely with practice area and sector teams across the firm, particularly Banking & Finance, Capital Markets, Corporate, M&A, Energy, Utilities, TMT & Intellectual Property and Litigation. Lefkothea has advised on matters across a wide range of sectors including energy, construction, banking, commodities, oil & gas, consumer and retail, motor vehicles, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, ports and infrastructure, TMT, and gaming.
During her long career in competition law, Lefkothea has advised on numerous high-profile cases including:
- Bid-rigging: HCC issued record fines of €80m to a construction cartel comprising 15 companies using its leniency programme and the recently introduced settlement procedure for the first time.
- Abuse of dominance: A pharmaceutical company was fined over €4 million for restricting supply of two drugs to Greek wholesalers.
- Commitments: Far-reaching commitments by the Greek incumbent gas supplier to increase and support competition, including an auction system for gas and access to infrastructure obligations.
- Phase 2 merger: HCC cleared with commitments a merger in the shipping sector.
In addition to consulting on regulatory issues Greek business and industry associations, Lefkothea also serves as a senior international expert on competition law in competition capacity-building programmes, including the EBRD-funded project Support to the Armenian State Commission for the Protection of Economic Competition, awarded to Learlab s.r.l., and the EU-funded project Training of National Judges on Competition Law, under the framework of the OECD-GVH Regional Centre for Competition.
Notable Antitrust & Competition cases
- Advised a Greek subsidiary of a multinational group active in the agrochemicals sector, in the ex-officio investigation initiated by the Hellenic Competition Commission (HCC) regarding alleged infringements related to abuse of dominance and/or restrictive vertical agreements.
- Advised Volterra S.A. on an ex-officio investigation launched by the Hellenic Competition Commission (HCC) in the market for the retail supply of electricity to small consumers (low voltage) involving 18 companies operating in the market.
- Advised Volterra S.A. on an ex-officio investigation launched by the Hellenic Competition Commission (HCC) in the market for the wholesale supply of electricity.
- Advised DEPA Commercial S.A., the public gas corporation, on the creation of a joint venture in the commercialization of SSLNG and the submission to the Hellenic Competition Commission (HCC) of a respective merger clearance.
- Advised DEPA Commercial S.A., the public gas corporation, on the acquisition of 30% of the shares of a company active in the production of electricity.
- Advised DEPA Commercial S.A., the public gas corporation, on the acquisition of exclusive control on New Spes Concept S.A., a company active in the PV market.
- Advised Cardlink S.A. in responding to requests for information regarding mergers in the market for the provision of acquiring services in the payments sector.
- Advised Goodyear on commercial contracts from a competition law perspective and trained personnel on inspection of business premises by a competition authority.
- Advised one of the leading television and media companies in Greece, on a commercial dispute involving allegation of breaches of competition law provisions.
- Advised LINDE S.A. on commercial practices and compliance with new provision in Competition Act.
- Advised Athenian Brewery, a subsidiary of Heineken International, in a commercial dispute (action for damages following a Hellenic Competition Commission (HCC) decision).