As the leader and most senior member of our Litigation & Dispute Resolution team, John has played a critical role in many high-profile and influential cases. He has represented clients in a range of industry sectors at every level of court in Greece, including multiple cases each year at the Supreme Court.
John has played a leading role in shaping legal precedent in Greece, most recently representing Goodyear Tires and Athens Paper Mill in labor law cases relating to the application of EU law and collective redundancies following the companies’ closure of factories in Greece.
He also operates at the leading edge of evolving internet law and has successfully represented the leading US search engine in cases against artists, politicians and businessmen over the removal of allegedly defamatory content, IP-owned content and personal data from the internet. He has also represented YouTube in a first-of-its-kind case over liability for IP content uploaded by users, in which a collecting society turned against both the infringer and the platform. The Court rejected the claim in its entirety against the platform.
He led the critical hearing in a free speech case brought by Greek politician Theodore Katsanevas against the Greek Wikipedia user and administrator, Diu. The Court of First Instance of Athens denied the preliminary injunction requested by Mr. Katsanevas, which would have required Diu, along with co-defendant Greek Free / Open Source Software Society (ELLAK), to provisionally remove statements from the Greek language Wikipedia article about Mr. Katsanevas.
John has wide-ranging experience of representing clients in the Conseil D’ Etat in cases relating to challenges by the State or corporations against tender procedures and public procurement rules.
Notable Litigation & Dispute Resolution cases
- Advising Goodyear Dunlop Tires Hellas in disputes with clients, suppliers and other claimed payments.
- Retained by Linde AG, a leading German conglomerate, handling the lawsuits against Greek hospitals.
- We acted for Google in handling numerous removals requests filed by data subjects per CJEU decision on the operator’s obligations and the data subjects’ right to be forgotten (Case C-131/12), as well as in relevant court disputes.
- Advised Envitec, a renewable energy company, on an appeal for error of law, following an arbitration award, regarding the possibility of substitution of the contractor pursuant to the EU Public Procurement legislation.
- Advising Kavala Oil on litigation case against Hellenic Grid Operator (ADMIE) regarding multimillion-euro claims.
- Advising Kavala Oil in defense of a number of lawsuits by its minority shareholders regarding the annulment of its general shareholders’ meetings.
- Representing Kavala Oil, an oil producer, in litigation against the Greek Independent Power Transmission Operator regarding charges with respect to public utility services (currently before the Supreme Court).